Remember when you were younger, and you'd play that game where someone goes "Now I'm going to say a word, you tell me the first word that pops into your mind"? (Well let me go on record as saying I always hated that game! My first reaction was always to repeat the word in my head! They would say cat and I would think cat, while I tried to think of a useful first word!) I guess it's the thinker in me! =)
Well I read this scripture verse and it reminded me right away, of that game.
"Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think.." Ephesians 3:20
My first thought was how it was such a powerful statement. It made me wonder what the majority of society's initial reaction would be. Would most of us think "Woo Hoo! I have a genie in a bottle" then proceed to list all these selfish things we felt we needed or deserved.
This question in turn made me examine myself specifically, and wonder what my reaction would be or even is.
What do I ask of God? Do I have faith and dream big? At my core, what are the motives behind my prayers? Are my prayers to esteem others and God, or to make my life more comfortable? After thinking about this a lot. I've decided to do a little studying on how Jesus and Paul prayed. While I'm sure if I studied it, it'd all be contained in the Lord's Prayer, but I want to go deeper than that.
I want to be deeper than that.
I don't want to have these shallow "do this for me and while you're at it, could you do that for me. Oh and I almost forgot, help so & so" kind of prayers. That's how I used to pray before I got saved!
I want to glorify Him in my prayers.
I want to pray His heart, not mine.
No comments:
Post a Comment